7.15.2012

a sunday thought:families with different beliefs

Hello everyone :)
Sometimes, I like to bring it down a notch
it meaning my sarcasm, joking, ditsy, asd;flkas side
and talk about something I really care about.
When I say families with different beliefs, I don't mean two families..but rather one family where different members believe different things.
Since I've become active in the religion that I'm in now,
there have been a few disputes in my family (immediate and extended)
Nothing big though..
How I spend my Sundays.
How I spend my money.
etc, etc.
I love my family.
all of my family.

  
But sometimes the small differences that I have with my family, makes me wonder about those that live in families with two very strong, different beliefs.
Like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Yes.
I like that movie a lot!
But it didn't work there...I mean, that guy had to become Greek in order to happily marry that girl.
I've been asked several times if I would date someone out of my religion.
BACK when I was still dating!
;)
I always said 
"Absolutely!"
because I'm a very firm believer that
it's not what you've done,
what you haven't done,
what you've accomplished,
where your from,
what your family is like,
it's about how you treat other people, yourself, and me. 
Was I a bad person before I chose this religion?
Not really...
Would millions of boys answer this question with a "no,"
Probably.
Did that make me sad?
Maybe then, but not now...  
Because people then asked me if I would marry someone outside of my religion.
I always said,
"Absolutely not."
And for a lot of people, dating is purely finding that person to one day marry.

I'm getting married in one month and 10 days now.
I'm getting married in an LDS Temple.
I am ecstatic!
But sometimes, I can see the hurt in my mother's eyes...
she can't go in the Temple with me.
But I love her so much,
and she understands.
Maybe she doesn't believe the same things I do,
maybe she spends her money differently,
and her Sundays differently,
but I would be a fool to say I didn't learn the most important lessons from my mom.
a downright fool.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think it often works,
families with different beliefs,
but a family is a family,
and a family that loves each other will make things work.
Sometimes to make things work, other things have to be broken...
but that's an entirely different discussion.

Happy Sunday everyone :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this! And congrats on it getting so close!!! It's the best feeling kneeling across the altar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should all focus on what we have in common, rather than what we don't. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for this post! My boyfriend is going through a very similar situation, and I sent him a link to this post and he said it really helped and has great points. :)

    ReplyDelete